ECOSOC (United Nations Economic and Social Council) aims to promote higher standards of living, full employment and economic and social progress in member nations.
The High-Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development is a function of the Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC) mandated by Heads of State and Government at the 2015 World Summit. Its purpose is to assess progress made towards the 2030 Agenda.
To this end, roundtable discussions with broad partner participation are organized. Lessons learned are exchanged and successful practices and approaches that merit scaling-up are identified.
Each year, the Economic and Social Council is expected to adopt a Ministerial Declaration at the end of the High-Level Political Forum, which will give guidance and help to advance the implementation of internationally agreed goals and commitments related to the theme.
Since 2006, the Ostad Elahi Foundation has contributed to ECOSOC’s works by organizing reflections of experts who focus on the ethical aspects of the year’s themes.
The Foundation has organized the following reflections (the links return to the corresponding pages in French):
- 2019 – Promoting the teaching of individual ethics
- 2018 – Encouraging the teaching of ethics for managers
- 2017 – Ethics education, a fundamental factor in reducing poverty
- 2016 – Education in individual ethics : a major objective of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
- 2015 – Rethinking and strengthening solidarity within society by teaching altruism
- 2015 – Rethinking and strengthening the well-being of older persons
- 2014 – Teaching of ethics and preservation of the gains of the MDG’s
- 2013 – Teaching of individual ethics and MDG’s
- 2012 – Decent Work in Detention
- 2011 – The Construction of Well-Being Criteria in Educational Contexts
- 2010 – What Solutions for Professional Equality?
- 2009 – Medical/treatment Ethics and Resolutions of the MDG’s related to Healthcare
- 2008 – Application and Impact of the Citizen Responsibility in the Sustainable Development and MDGs
- 2007 – How can the Development of Ethics help eradicate Poverty and Hunger?
- 2006 – Ethics and a Decent Work
Because of its contribution to the Annual Ministerial Review and more generally, because of its work on ethics and the practice of ethics, the Foundation was granted the special consultative status with the Economic and Social Council in July 2008.